With our wedding only 10 short days away and leaving for our honeymoon in two weeks, it’s time to finalize the details and get our packing list ready to go. With our honeymoon being each of our first trips out of the country, we want to feel stress-free and well-prepared when we board our flight. Keep reading for my honeymoon packing guide geared toward couples that are going on tropical trips like us, an essential to-do list before leaving the country and tips for packing with ease!
Before going out of the country, there are several things you may need to do:
- Let your banks know that you’ll be traveling out of the country so they don’t put a hold on your account due to unexpected transactions. You’ll also want to have some cash on hand just in case.
- Make sure your passport is up-to-date — Justin and I are excited to carry ours in our custom Bramble and Beene covers that we absolutely love!
- Check for flight delays and be aware of arrival and departure time adjustments made since you booked, length of layovers, etc.
- Look up bag prices online for the airline you’ll be flying with to determine whether you want to check a bag or only bring a carry-on.
- Research process and rules when going through customs at the airport so you feel prepared if it’s your first time.
- Research any international changes you may need to adjust to, like different types of electric outlets in your hotel room, etc.
- Select a comfy outfit to wear on the plane and consider wearing your bulkier items (like sneakers) to save space in your suitcase.
- If you’re on medication, be sure your prescriptions are refilled and you have enough to make it through your trip. This is something that can be easily forgotten when scrambling to remember the big things!
- Since you’ll be out of town for an extended period of time and may have limited access to communication, be sure to turn on your autoresponder on your work/personal email account so those trying to contact you when you’ll be able to be reached upon your return. If you work on social media like I do as a blogger, you may want to send out posts letting your followers/brands know too.
- Attach a tag to your luggage with your contact information in case your bag gets lost. How cute are these custom ones from Bramble and Beene?! I can’t get over how exciting it is to see my name listed as Abby Armbruster and I can’t wait to bring these along when we travel for years and years!
I’ve shared these tips in a previous post, but I felt they were necessary to include here too. Below are my go-to packing tips for traveling.
1. Roll your clothes rather than folding them. I find that this saves so much space and it makes it easier to find the items you’re looking for during your trip!
2. Put dryer sheets in your bag. This keeps your clothes smelling fresh for the whole week.
3. Use packing cubes. Separate containers used to store different types of items (tops, bottoms, underwear/bras, etc.) helps keep you organized and controls the amount of stuff you attempt to cram into your bag.
4. Use a carry-on bag. You’ll save money by not having to check a bag.
5. Separate dirty clothes from clean clothes. Bring a plastic bag to stuff dirty clothes in throughout your trip, or turn dirty clothes inside-out after you wear them so you know what’s clean and what isn’t.
WHAT TO PACK
If you’re a chronic over-packer like me, you’ll want to make sure that you bring everything you’ll actually need and use without overfilling your bag with unnecessary items. Below are my essentials broken down by category.
- Comfy outfit to wear when traveling (1-2)
- Bras (regular, bralettes, pasties, etc.)(3-4)
- Underwear (1 for each day + a couple extra)
- Socks (2)
- Sandals (1-2)
- Tennis shoes (athletic and/or casual)(1 pair or 1 of each)
- Shorts (3-4)
- Tops (t-shirts, tanks, crop tops, etc.)(4-5)
- Swimsuits (3-4)
- Cover-ups/sundresses (3-4)
- Dress/Skirt (1-2)
- Athletic clothes (if you plan to be active or workout)
- Jacket/sweatshirt/cardigan/sweater for cold nights (1)
- Pajamas (3-4)
- Passport, photo ID
- Plane ticket
- Purse and wallet
- Engagement ring and wedding band
- Sunglasses (1)
- Hat (1)
- Beach bag
- Beach towel
- Makeup + brushes/sponges
- toothbrush, toothpaste
- shampoo, conditioner, soap (if the place you’re staying at doesn’t provide them)
- hairbrush, hair products, hair ties, bobby pins
- hair dryer, curling iron, straightener (if needed)
- skincare products (if needed)
- contacts, contact case, solution, glasses (if needed)
- tampons, pads, panty liners (if needed)
- lip balm
- perfume/body mist
- extras: medicine, eye drops, nasal spray, tissues, etc.
- charger (external battery as well?)
- headphones for airport
- memory card
- Magazine, book, deck of cards or other airport entertainment
That pretty much sums it up! If there’s anything important that I forgot to add to my packing and prep list, please let me know. Justin and I can’t wait to soak up some Caribbean sun and enjoy our vacation together as fresh newlyweds. 🙂 What destination is at the top of your travel wishlist? Also, let me know what custom quotes and images you would put on your luggage tag and passport cover. Thank you for reading and I hope you found this to be helpful!